Friday 20 April 2012

Day 92:

"Write a letter to yourself at another time in your life (past or future)."

This was an interesting prompt but a letter to myself past or present was not really something I wanted to share on my blog.  I did want to do writing as the creative project today so here it goes.

This is a little story I started telling my youngest daughter in the spring of 2011.  It was the first spring in our new home and we would see the little covers that would drop off the magnolia buds as the bloom when we would walk to and from school.  She picked one up one day and asked me what it was.  This is what I said:

They are a sign of spring.  The best sign of spring!  It means the fairies have decided it is spring.  You see darling, these are the fairies winter wings.  That is why they are fuzzy and heavy. They protect the fairies and keep them warm through the winter.  It makes it a little harder for the fairies to fly, because the wings are bulky, but it is the best protection in the biting cold.  Then when it is truly spring the fairies meet at dusk in the magnolia trees, just as the flowers are about to bloom, and have the spring celebration where they shed their winter wings in favour of the light gossamer wings you usually associate with fairies.  In the morning the fairies have gone off to sleep and the only thing left behind are the winter wings.

For the next few days she asked me to tell the story again and again as we walked to and from school.  Then she said, 'So it's true mum there really ARE fairies. GREAT!  I am taking these wings to school to show my friends and I am telling them what they are to PROVE to my friends that fairies ARE real.'  I hope this story and the others I tell are giving her an ability to be imaginative, but maybe I am just setting her up for therapy in the future.

This spring while walking to school, as the magnolias began to bloom again, my daughter said, 'look mum the fairies believe it is truly spring .... tell me the story again.'

XO


No comments:

Post a Comment