Friday 28 October 2011

Day 13:

"Use tea leaves or tea bags (used or unused) or even just liquid tea (in a cup or not) to create something today."

I love tea!  One look in my cupboard and you would know.  I have numerous cans of loose tea and even some boxes with tea bags all in different flavours.  Each of my three children even have a favourite tea.  I was excited today to use tea and decided to make 'paint'.  I set out 10 small cups with a different tea in each last night and let them steep overnight to get strong colours.
Looking at the colours brewing all browns and reds made me think desert.  Being a little homesick for Australia (where I lived for 6 years) I decided to paint Uluru.  I sketched it out and decided to test out my colours.  The interesting thing I learned about tea is that it can look one colour in the cup, a different colour when used as paint and sometimes even a third colour when it dries.
Final product is my interpretation of Uluru painted with tea. Happily my children all recognised it with out any prompting.
It was fun.  Only thing I would of changed was to use watercolour paper instead of my sketch book because the tea is really thin like a watercolour wash and the watercolour paper would have held up better.

No comments:

Post a Comment